Child pulled of his finger nail, swollen and puss oozing out of it with a red line. Is it a blood infection?

My almost 4 yo son pulled a hang nail off of this finger a few days ago. He awoke this morning with a red swollen finger tip, open sore and puss oozing from the site. I cleaned it first thing and applied antibiotic cream then covered it with a bandage . I repeated this process a 3 times today, but it s still hot to the touch and blanches when pressure is applied. I just had him soak it in epsom salts and warm water for 15 minutes, but prior to doing so I noticed a red line running up the inside of his finger his large knuckle at the palm. Should I take him to the ER tonight or can I wait until tomorrow morning? I am assuming this is the start of a blood infection. Please advise.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013