Child prescribed Ganciclovir for premature baby with enlarged liver. Alternative treatment?

My baby girl was born 50 days pre-mature by normal delivery.Now she is 6 months old. Her weight is 3.8 kgs and she developed symptoms of enlarged liver and spleen .CMV-PCR test through Urine is positive. Doctor has prescribed ganciclovir IV for 2 weeks at 5mg/kg per dose every 12 hours. I have read that Ganciclovir is toxic in nature and can have serious side-effects.More-over its usage in pediatric treatment is not guaranteed. Is there any alternative treatment?
Asked On : Sat, 15 Sep 2012