Child prescribed Bactrim for boil on forearm. Now vomiting and diarrhea. Correct dosage?

my 7 y.o. son was perscribed Bactrim liquid, (750 mg. I believe) @ 3 1/2 tsp. 2 x daily for an abcess/ boil on his forearm . His first dose was @ 8:15 pm. At 12:15 am, we were woken by him vomiting profusely all night along with diarrhea . This continued until 12:30 pm the next day. . . was the dosage correct on this?? It seemed like an awful lot to give a small child or is this a side effect of Bactrim?? Thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 30 Nov 2012