Child playing with herself, humping and rubbing objects. Normal behavior?

My 3 yr old has been caught playing with herself and humping and rubbing objects.. I don t know nor understand if this behavior is normal? One of my babysitters have taken this as far as calling c.p.s. on me.! I feel she is exploring and so does some other close people I ve talked to then there are others who think its unexceptable and feel like she has either seen something or has been molested or along those lines... I ve taken her to our family doctor who checked her out completely. And said there are no signs and what she is doing is normal...
Asked On : Mon, 3 Sep 2012
Pediatrician, Surgery 's  Response

I would like to reassure you that your 3 yr old is going through a normal developmental phase. There are 5 phases of development and if you remember she must have gone through a period of putting things into her mouth (oral phase). Then there must have been a period of exploring her bottom and getting the sensation of potty and urine (anal phase) THis usually lasts from 18 months to 3 years. From the age of 3 yrs to 6 years, they go through a phase where they explore their genital regions and attention is focussed on these. I would agree with your doctor that what she is doing is normal. However, one must be always alert to the safety of the child.