Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Child might have consumed 10-15 ml of crocin ds. Effect on liver?

My child who is 22 months old was given crocin ds 3 ml at 10 am in the morning but at 1.30 we found that he has taken out the bottle and spilled it on the floor we didnt new whether he has consumed or not but there was definitely 10 to 15 ml missing from the bottle. My query is even in the worst case if he has consumed what would be the effect on his liver . Though he is active and did not show any signs of drowsiness is it still alarming. please answer
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jul 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  107
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for choosing HCM.
In this case as we are not sure if the child has swallowed the medicine fully[part of it may be on the floor where it was spilled]
Even if the child has consumed full 15 ml it will not cause any liver damage. Usually the liver damage occurs on long term consumption of over dosage of paracetamol.
Do not worry. Feed the child a lot of liquids for the next 24 hours.
Answered: Tue, 31 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Nasir Mohammed's  Response
Hello, I understand your concern and anxiety related to the effect of crocin (paracetamol) on liver. Even if you assume that your child has consumed the entire 15 ml of the missing syrup, it is unlike to have any toxic effects on the liver. Moreover children younger than 6 years of age are unlikely to have significant toxicity after single ingestion of even large doses if this drug. For your knowledge, the acute toxic dose of this drug is >200mg/kg for children less than 12 years. So assuming that your child weighs around 12 kg, the drug consumed is much below the toxic level. Do observe your child for the next 24 to 48 hours for any vague symptoms like nausea or vomiting. In such a case, certain blood tests are required after hospital admission. Rest assured antidote to this medicine is also available.
Answered: Tue, 31 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor