Child is going through puberty. How to explain this to a child?

Hi, my name is Brandi. My 13 year old step-son is going through puberty right now. I really didn't know that boys go through a lot of the same mood swings that girls endure. With that said, my main question is how do I talk to him about the erections he is experiencing? He has started trying to log on to pornographic web sites, although I realize it is normal for him to be curious, I don't know how to explain these are inappropriate, much too advanced sites. Nor do I know if I should explain to him how to go about masturbating as a release, let alone what is appropriate to provide him with .......should I actually get him a PG-13 magazine, a towel, and vaseline and encourage him to experiment with masturbating ? I assume he either doesn't know how to or is too afraid of being caught in the act since he is walking around the house with a hard-on almost daily. I need to explain to him that although they are a natural occurrence, they are not for anyone but him to see right now. I will do anything to make sure he understands these are normal stages of becoming a young man and he can always talk to me. I think it is crucial I provide him with the best advice possible. I definitely don't want to encourage him to start masturbating if it isn't appropriate for me to do so....I just don't know how else to provide him with a source of release.
Asked On : Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I can understand the problem you are facing.

You should discuss with your kid. There is nothing wrong with that.

You should also explain to him what is right and what is wrong.

You should also educate him regarding the hazards of unprotected intercourse.

If you are facing problem with discussing all those with your kid then you should take the help of a doctor to explain the same to your kid.

Hope this helps.
Pediatrician, Neonatology Dr. Sathyajith Nair's  Response
Indeed boys also go through the phase of puberty and could be tubulent in a few. I guess you could use the help of a counseller who would do the needful in your presence which would make things a lot easier. The added advantage being that it would help to educate you as to how to counter the mood swings in the same session itself.