Child hyper active, unable to concentrate on one thing. Variation in EEG report. Prescribed medication

My son is 10 years old. He is hyper active and is unable to concentrate on any one particular thing. He always keeps juggling things he has in his hand and it could be a sharpener,eraser,mobile,TV remote etc. He studies well. he is good in playing, he learns Table Tennis and music privately and he also draws well, he is good in handicraft, his handwriting depends on his mood he either scribbles or writes neatly .Recently compl,aints from school had come that he hits students,pushes them down, runs around the class, and had asked us to take care of him. We took him to a child pschyciatric and he had wanted an EEG report. The report had variations and he said it could be genetical as I am epiliptic and he prescribed him with Sizodon 10mg, Attera 25mg, Dicorate 250mg for 2 years.Is it necessary that he takes so much of medicine?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Feb 2013

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your dilemma. Since you mention that your son is doing well scholastically but is a bit fidgety I would personally like to wait and watch instead of putting him on medication. The recent complaints from his class teacher can be attributed to the naughtiness of a pre-pubertal child. It shall be better to discuss the issue with your son and reward him for a correct behaviour. The medications can even be started after 2-3 months of this obeservation.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son all the best.