Child hit on cheeks, turns to red, no bruise. Concerned

My grandson came to me this morning after spending the night with his mother and her male roommate. He has what I think could be a slap mark on his cheek. She said he fell and hit it on the corner of the coffee table. However it seems to be fading over the course of the day. And is red, but doesn t look like a bruise . What do you think? He is 2 and a half and told me, hit and then made a crying noise. Also this roommate has been in jail because he says he dropped his girlfriends child and she fell unconscious. I m worried about my grandson and would love your opinion.
Asked On : Fri, 8 Jun 2012
Sports Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi jjcordell,

You may be finding the situation difficult but the priority here should be to prevent further harm coming to your young grandson. One way to try and achieve this would be to take him to your family doctor for a check up and explain the facts to them.