Child having sore head, red white blotches all over face. Sometimes high platelet levels. Viral?

Hi there I have a son age 10 that gets a lot off sore heads in fells sick with them. He plays football in this is the second time this year that when he finishes his hour training he is bright red with big white blotches all over his face wi sore head in felling sick. I sometimes get worried as he was in the hospital not well with sore heads in it was his platelets they were 97 one day then went up to 102 the next day but when returned to the hospital 2weeks later they were fine so got put down to virus. Can you help me in any way
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013

Sorry your query is bit unclear.

Normal platelet count is 150K to 450K. So your son`s platelet count was not high, but rather low. Though it was low, it was in safe limit. Low platelet counts do happen in some viral fevers.
Low platelet counts can cause red blotches on the skin.
Head ache too happens in viral fevers.
All these things are temporary if due to virus. He will be normal once the virus goes off.

Repeated headaches in a child- needs evaluation for refractory errors, recurrent sinus headaches, migraine etc. Its good to check his Blood Pressure at least once.

Hope my answer helps you.
Wish your son good health.