Child having severe coughing with thick mucous, diagnosed with asthma, breathing restrictive. Suggestions?

My 8 year old daughter has been coughing severely for 7 weeks or so. When she was little she was diagnosed with asthma so we chalked it up to that. She is on inhalers and 4 days ago we took her to the doctor and she was given decongestants. These have not worked and on occasion she is coughing up white thick mucus . Her breathing is getting more and more restrictive. No fever or sweating present. I am getting concerned as this is not showing even the most remote signs of improving. We are thinking of taking her to the children s hospital for an X-ray .
Asked On : Tue, 28 Aug 2012