Child having repeated episodes of sore eyes after getting off the pool, redness and swelling. No relief with Visine. Cause and cure?

My husband and I took our 4 year old son swimming a few days ago. When we got out of the pool my son started to complain that his eyes were sore. A few minutes later he was crying because they hurt so bad. They were very red and swollen. When we got home we washed them out and placed a cold compress on them but he still cried and complained for nearly an hour and they were still slightly swollen the next morning. We took him swimming again today and the same thing happened. We tried rinsing his eyes and we used Visine drops but they didn t seem to help. We have been swimming at this same pool for many years and he takes lessons there. However on the past 2 occasions he spent more time under the water and was in the water for a longer period of time.
Asked On : Thu, 9 Aug 2012
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
as swimming pool has chlorinated water it causes chemical conjuctivitis,
you should wash his eyes thoroughly with warm water and do cold fomentation with an ice
it commonly occurs because of chlorine and also due to high ph of water in pool
put tear substitute like refresh tears eye drops
always use googles while swimming which will protect your eyes from direct contact of chlorinated water
take care and ready to answer future queries