Child having regular chest pain, difficulty in long hours of physical activity. MRI showed right ventricle pinched between sternum and spine, high haller index. Will Nuss procedure prove helpful?

My 11yr old will be having the Nuss proceedure next week. He has a haller index of 5.2. He will be 12 in Sept. On his MRI you could see the right ventricle of his heart being pinched between his sternum and spine. He is a competitive swimmer, has been since he was 4. He used to be able to handle a 1 hour 45 min practice, now he makes it about 20mins until he can t do anymore. He complains about chest pain everyday now, even while resting.His quality of life is declining..... I feel we are making the best decision for him...... Our surgeon has been doing the nuss since 1999.I have read some pretty scary stuff online. Any advice?
Asked On : Sun, 24 Jun 2012