Child having rash on groin, rectal area. No help with ointments. Cause, treatment?

My 4yr old son has had a rash on his groin and rectal area for 3 weeks now. It started with redness and a few spots and has developed into weeping raised and red larger areas at worst. Treatments so far have included Daktarin, Canestan, Baktroban and Lomexin creams but none seem to have stopped the rash. I have also used Bepanthen ointment to calm the skin when it starts to crack and weep - this seems to help that immediately but we cannot get rid of the rash. It seems to reduce and then all of a sudden flares up again - although I cannot pinpoint why. Dr is not sure if it is fungal or yeast ..... considering trying low potency topical steroid cream next. Any ideas what it is, what is causing it and what i can use to treat it effectively?
Asked On : Wed, 20 Feb 2013