Child having persistent slightly raised, red spot on the cheek, not sure on it being a insect bite. Suggestions?

my 21 month old has a red spot on his check the size of a dime. It started off small and I assumed it was a mosquito bite. But now it is dime size and has not gone away. It has been two weeks. It sometimes looks slightly raised. I brought him to the doctor and they told me to treat it like an insect bite with hydrocortizone. But, they said they weren t 100% convinced on it being an insect bite. Please help.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Jun 2012