Child having diarrhea with mucus and vomiting. Stool test scheduled. Could this be due to a viral infection?

Hi, On Monday my 5 year old had runny poo and vomited once. The rest of the week he has been ok except last night and today he was a bit upset and has had black poo with a bit of mucus and tonight he woke up and was dry reaching. He didn t actually vomit anything up. We took him to the dtr tonight and have to take a stool sample in tomorrow. I am just worried as he is quite a skinny little thing and my mother inlaw is always saying he looks pale so now I m worried it s something serious. Normally he is very active, running around all the time, heaps of energy etc. He is fairly tall for his age so I am assuming that he is skinny because he is tall and runs around burning lots of energy. Sorry for the long winded query but does it just sound like he has a virus? Regards
Asked On : Mon, 5 Nov 2012