Child having diarrhea, prescribed medication, supplements, giving plenty of fluids. Time taken to recover?

Hi, My daughter is 4 yrs old. She is having diarrhea since the last two days. Her stools are watery, fragmented & yellow in color. looks like she may be loosing 3-4 ltrs or more of water every day. there is no puss or blood in her stools yet. Her pediatrician has prescribed Nutrolin B (Pro-biotic), Zanocin-Liquid ( Antibiotic ) and a suppliment (Zincris). I have been giving her fluids frequently (Water, Tender coconut, Pomegranate juice frequently. Yesterday her stools were as frequent as once every hour or 45 mins. Today the consistency is the same, however it is once every 2.5 - 3 hrs. I would like to understand how long does it normailly take for kids to recover from Diahhrea? 1 hr to 3 hrs is it considered an improvement?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern for the frequency of diarrhoea that your daughter is having. She is getting the appropriate treatment. The main stay of diarrhoea is that the child should not get dehydrated which you are ensuring.

Coming to your question, it may take 2-3 days for the diarrhoea to get controlled. If the time interval between motions is increasing and the consistency is changing to semi-solid then one can be sure that there is improvement. You should ensure that she gets adequate fluids and is passing urine every 4-5 hours.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.