Child having dark pasty stool, not taking vitamin medicine. Treatment?

My almost 9 year old son has been having very dark (almost black) stools that are pasty (for lack of a better term). They are very hard to clean after even using wet disposable wipes. He occasionally complains of his tummy bothering him but that he is not in pain . The tummy bothering him is occasional whereas the stool has been this way for months every time that he has a BM. He is no longer taking vitamins (I thought that it may be too much iron) and he eats the same things as myself and his sister and we do not have this problem.
Asked On : Thu, 19 Apr 2012
Thank for asking to HCM
I really appreciate your concern for your son, you need to change his diet more fat containing diet some causes such stool consistency and not because of vitamin not taking orally in extra supplements, try to give him more fibrous and protein containing diet and stop worrying about this hope this information helps you have nice day.