Child having cough, cold. Feels better with nebulisation. Prescribed steroids. No improvement as yet. Suggestions?

My son has a wheezing history from the time he turned 1 yr. Now he is 41/2 years & the symptoms have only aggrevated. The weather is also conducive for this in bangalore. On the very second day, when he catches cold , he starts coughing very badly that he will be unable to lie on the bed. more than the congestion the cough troubles him very much. once the phelgm comes out after nebulization or puff (with spacer), he feels better. Now, on the advice of a pulmonalogist, we give him beudecort 200 (puff with spacer) 2 times a day. She has advised us to try it out for 6 months. It s 2 weeks since we started this, but he still has cough & sleepless nights. Will the treatment be effective over the period of time? does the use steroids have adverse effects? Is there any other solution for this problem? he hardly is free of cough & cold. Max. 4-5 days in a month, he ll be alright. the rest of the days & nights are a nightmare. please guide us.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013