Child having a bulge at the top of sternum, growing. What could this be?

Hi, my 10 yr old daughter has a bulge at the top of her sternum. When I feel it, it feels all hard like bone. She says that it s sore to touch and press on it. A few yrs ago, it was raised like this too. We had an X-ray done & they didn t find anything wrong. So I didn t pay much attention to it after that since they said it was fine. Well tonight she was coughing, which she has had for prob 6 wks now, and she put her hand on her upper sternum chest area & said she felt that it was much bigger than usual. That s when I looked at it and seen it was enlarged. I have a check up at the Dr office for her next week for and I m wondering if I should just have her Dr look at it then or if I should take her to our local hospital to have it checked out sooner? Any ideas on what this is?
Asked On : Fri, 23 Nov 2012