Child have scratching habit of private parts. What could be the reason and the solution?

Hello Doc.. My son who will turn 4 years this June keeps scratching his private parts if left alone...Especially when we wants to go to pee, he will delay it...But even if he does not want to pee, he finds immense pleasure and at times, he gets sweaty and engrossed in this scratching.. why do they do this and whats the solution
Asked On : Thu, 2 May 2013
Relax,it is normal for a toddler to get pleasure by rubbing his genitals.It is a part of childhood development.
Most important is not to pay any attention while he is doing this.Never scold him for his behavior.Try to divert his attention.
Indulge him in some creativity activity.
Slowly his habit will change.

Wishing your child good health.
God bless..

Pediatrician Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty's  Response

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Do not worry about that behavior

It is very much normal for that age group.

Try to ignore that and appreciate him for all the good things he does.

Do not force him to stop that as he will persist more if you do that.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.