Child have bruises on legs. Blood test done. No medication till now. CAn it be leukemia?

Hi. I just had my 11 month old daughter get a CBC to check if there is even a slight possibility that she has leukemia. I am very concerned about leukemia happening again in our family because my baby sister died of it more than 20 years.

We sent to the hospital because I saw 3 small "bruises" on her leg a week ago. They were pale brown, not the red-bluish bruise you get from a you get hit hard by something. My daughter started to walk a month ago and does not seem to mind falling and hurting herself just to reach what she wants grab. The bruises could have just been from her walking or crawling. She has no fever. Her appetite is good; no weight loss; no signs of weakness. But we were still worried.

From her CBC: RBC was normal (4.86 x 10^12/L), platelet was "adequate", but WBC elevated (14 x 10^9/L). I believe that should be about 14,000/ cubic mm. Blood morphology said "Smear shows slightly hypochromic, microcytic red blood cells. Platelets are adequate".

Should I be worried? I do not want to subject my daughter to a battery of tests for a witch hunt for leukemia. Thanks.
Asked On : Mon, 29 Apr 2013