Child has yellow sticky ear wax, ear from inside looks brown. Serious?

When I cleaned my 3 yr old s ear out yesterday he had ALOT of thick yellow stinky ear wax in it. He wasn t saying it hurt at all but when I noticed him scratching it alittle I decided to clean it out. I got all the wax out, I think, but when I look in his ear (at what I think is the ear drum) it looks kinda brown looking. He says it don t hurt unless I put a finger in it or a swab so I don t think it is hurting him on any regular basis. Should I just give it a few days and see if it will drain now or should I be worried it is an infection because of the smell?
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013