Child has watery stool. Prescribed ORS and Enterogermina. Watery, green stools. How to recover?

Hello Doctor , My 11 months old baby is suffering with watery stool every 15 a day. since 5 days. Our local doctor prescribed antibiotic, ORS & some powder which stops watery stool. later a pediatric advised nutrolin B and entrogermina, two days back. Till now (today night), baby is not yet recovered. Now baby s stool is watery & green. And her stool & urinary passage ( anus ) has become reddish due to high frequency motions. Pls advice on the treatment, to recover our baby s health condition.
Asked On : Thu, 29 Nov 2012

Thank you for your query.

In diarrhoea the main aim of management is to prevent dehydration. Despite the frequency of motions your child is not dehydrated which is a good sign. As our baby is receiving:
1. Antibiotic
2. ORS
3. Nutrolin B
4. Enterogermina
there is nothing much to add. However I would suggest:
A) Stool routine examination and, if necessary, culture and sensitivity
B) Bottle hygiene, if bottle feeding
C) Diet: over ripe banana, curd, buttermilk and avoid fruits and fruit juice till the diarrhoea gets controlled.

To control the reddness around the perineal region (anus and urinary passage) keep the area dry and apply any bland oil or lubricant or cream to reduce the contact between the watery stool and skin.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your child an early recovery.

Pediatrician, Neonatology Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth's  Response
this is mostly viral diarrhoea.
no need for antibiotics.
oral electrolytes is the only treatment to avoid dehydration.

Nutrolin can be given no harm.
For redness of the skin,avoid cleaning vigorously.
Use cotton wipes to clean gently.
Use emollient cream like delivera cream

Use emollint creams like deluded cream for external use.