Child has watering eye. Help

Hi Dr, My Son is 15 months old. From the time he is 9 month old water rolls out from his right eye once every day. And from past 2 days his right eye is watering a lot. And today morning when he woke up he couldnt open his right eye . I user hot water cloth to clean his eye and then he was allright. But still his right eye is watering. can you help me
Asked On : Sat, 6 Oct 2012
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi Pratnv,
Thanks for writing your query.
Watering of eyes in babies is mainly due to blockage in the tear ducts. Staganant tears can result in infection of the eye and can cause result in production of sticky fluid around the eye which can be cleaned by clean cotton dipped in sterile water.
Please get your child examined by an Ophthalmoloist.
I hope this helps you.
Thanks and take care.