Child has uneven back below waist. The left side is puffy. No pain. Suggestions?

My son is 4.5. As he was getting in the bathtub tonight, I noticed the area right below his waist from the back looked uneven. The left side sticks out further than the right side. I did not notice this until tonight. It looks puffy but is not hot to the touch and he said it doesn t hurt when I touch or even press on it. What could this be?
Asked On : Fri, 22 Feb 2013

Thank you for your query.

By the description provided by you it does not appear to be of any significance as a slight variation can be observed on the two sides of the waist. However, it is advisable to get it examined by your doctor to rule out any problem in the abdomen. Some swellings such as those related to the kidneys may appear as a bulge on one side. If required the doctor may ask for an ultrasound of the whole abdomen.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son all the best.