Child has swollen finger, swollen face after taking Panadol. Allergy to drug?

Hi Doctor, I have a six year old son, that squeezed his hand , and his finger became swollen. Later that night he got up crying with pain, but his children s panadol had run out, and his father without thinking took an extra strength panadol, broke it in half and gave it to my son, within some minutes, my son s face started swelling up like a balloon, his eyes, lips , cheeks even his ears. He started complaining with stomach pain, and started acting weird, and even complained that he wasn t seeing. He started to act as though he would black out. We rushed him to the hospital, where they gave him a shot of adrenaline and some steroids. They kept him the remainder of the night and monitored him till the symptoms cleared up. What I would like to know is if my child will always be prone to this allergic reaction if he uses any medication that has the main ingredient in the panadol which is acetaminophen? Should I take measure to make sure that he isn t given any medication with this drug?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012