Child has stomach pain after eating meals. What should I do?

My 8 years old daughter always complaint about stomach pain. She feels pain very frequently like after every 3-4 days, when she eat meals at night or sometime she take her lunch in school. Please suggest me what should i do. When i visit to doctor he said it can be gestic pain but i am worried why happened after every few days and after taking meal only. Waiting for your valued suggestion
Asked On : Sat, 26 Jan 2013
Pediatrician, Cardiology 's  Response
Abdominal pain in children can be due to so many causes. As your physician has told you pain abdomen after meals is common in gastric disorders like gastritis or ulcer.
But it can also be due to irritable bowel syndrome or inflammatory bowel disease. The only thing is that both these conditions usually associated with altered bowel habit. But in initial stages only pain abdomen may be there. A condition called abdominal migraine can also present like this.
I would suggest you to consult your doctor for further evaluation as in some children even after full evaluation no diagnosis can be made (called functional abdominal pain) and child may have no other complaints. It usually resolves over a period of time by conservative management only.
Pediatrician, Neonatology Dr. Ravikiran Reddy's  Response
Hello I have gone through your complaints.
As your doctor told, it can be a gestic pain.
If the abdominal pain is associated with vomitings or loose stools or passing worms in the stools or if it is continuous , then it requires a proper evaluation. As your child is having only episodic presentation and not having any danger signs, so you can just wait and see . If it is severe you can get evaluated after taking opinion of your with ultrasound abdomen. If there is no abnormality then we will diagnose it as functional abdominal pain.
Thank you. Good day.