Child has sore legs, intermittent fever. Could that be meningitis or flu?

At what point should I consider that my 9 year old son could have meningitis vs just the flu? The symptoms are both very similar. He does not have a headache or stiff neck or vomiting , but he is achy/lethargic/fever/chills. He is complaining of very sore legs and can barely walk up the stairs...He has had on/off mild fever/chills now for almost 5 days in a row...If I was to take him in to the doctor, what would they do to assess him and rule out meningitis without taking the lumbar puncture? Obviously that is not the road I want to go down unless it was absolutely necessary and meningitis was a serious concern. Without seeing him, what would be your first questions to assess his condition and rule out meningitis? It is flu season and I know it s going around, so I don t want to be a hypochondriac, but the sore legs threw me since he has never complained about that before.
Asked On : Tue, 6 Nov 2012