Child has slight swelling on the forehead after a fall, acting normally, no vomiting. Can I put a cold pack on him?

Hello, My three year old fell in the bathroom and bumped his head pretty hard on the floor. He didnt really cry much and it did not seem to bother him at all. But i am concerned about the slight swelling to the left side of his forehead . Should i put a cold pack on it? He has been acting normal since then. He has been active and able to move around as he normally does. I have been watching his eyes for any changes in them, there has not been any. He has not vomited at all. I did try to put a cold pack on his bump but that only seemed to irritate him. I m not sure if I should take him to the ER, or wait til morning to see how he feels.
Asked On : Tue, 6 Nov 2012