Child has retraction pocket without cholesteatoma, hearing loss. Surgery ok?

My 11 year old son has a retraction pocket without a cholesteatoma . He has moderate hearing loss in that ear and mild loss in the other (which looks healthy). Our general ENT wants to replace his eardrum to make it safe but does not think it is going to improve his hearing. First, is it typical for a general ENT to perform this type of surgery? Second, is it typical for a general ENT to perform this type of surgery on a child? We live in Japan (with the US Military ) and our second opinion was at a Japanese pediatric ENT who told us my son s ear looked perfect ... no problem !! We are getting a 3rd opinion from another general ENT with the Navy tomorrow. There is a ear surgery specialist at the military hospital in Hawaii and we are not sure if we should try to push to get referred there. Thanks. H
Asked On : Fri, 5 Oct 2012