Child has renal dilatation of kidney. Will he outgrow this?

Hi there In my third trimester (32 weeks), my baby was diagnosed with renal dilatation of left kidney (16mm) and right kidney (6mm). Two weeks after my son was born, an ultrasound scan showed that dilatation has gone down - on left kidney 10mm and right one 5.8mm Latest scan done (he was 11 weeks old) showed that the right kidney dilatation has gone completely down and it is well within the normal range, but the dilatation of the left kidney has gone up 25mm. Scan has also showed no blockage in the junction. He is now three months old, we had no infections but doctors now want me to start him on the antibiotics to prevent any infections. my Q s are: a) Since this is a very common with they boys,will my son be able to outgrow this or further management is needed ie surgery? b) How does infection start?Does it start inside the kidney or outside factors play the role? c) and what can I do to prevent the infection(apart from feeding my son antibiotics and killing all his friendly gut bacteria? ie (often nappy change etc) d)what would be the worst case scenario? ie loss of kidney function? i would rather try everything and leave the antibiotics as last resort, as scared that his immune system will get used to them and eventually stop responding to that particular antibiotics, as long treatment is necessarry (was told the course of 6months is neccessary before we see pediatric urologist ) thanks in advance for answer a.
Asked On : Thu, 7 Jun 2012

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Further management is required if renal dilatation does not subside.

Antibiotics are required to prevent infection.

Do not stop those antibiotics without doctors advise.

Further investigations like MCU etc are required to identify a cause for this like posterior urethral valves.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics