Child has red mark on the sole with yellow center, not raised or swollen. Bruise?

my son has a large blood red mark on the bottom of his foot . at first i thought it was paint but nothing came off when I scrubbed at it. it looks like it may be a bruise of some sort, but deeper red than any bruise i ve ever seen. it is painless for him, i poked and squeezed and it did not hurt, he s not even sure how it happened. he does play sports and had a soccer game today. it is not raised or swollen, I saw no indication of bites or puncture marks. it has a yellow center. is this just a bruise? or could it be somehting else?
Asked On : Wed, 31 Oct 2012