Child has red and swollen ear. Not cured by antihistamine and cordisone. Any suggestion?

My 6 y/o son woke up this morning, his ear was bright red and a little swollen, and he said that it hurt. He still went to school, but when we picked him up, his ear had swollen to twice the size. We thought it might had been a bug bite or something, so we gave him some antihistamine and cordisone, but it doesn t seem to be working, and now he s complaining more about the pain. Any suggestions?
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Welcome in H.C.M. for consulting.
I have gone through your query regarding red and swollen of your son which is painful and not responding to anti allergic and cortisone.
Considering all aspects of complaints, and effects of medication given to your son it appears as your son is suffering from infective perichondritis of pinna. Because allergic swellings are usually associated with itching and painless, while your child is having swollen ear which hurts therefore it appears to be infective thus addition of antibiotics is supposed to be necessary in treatment.

With Regards.