Child has protruding belly with pain. What is the reason?

My daughter's belly has been aching. This past year, her belly has "popped" for lack of a better description. She has a funny looking "jelly-belly" that keeps growing. It is very unlike my own (her mother) and my husband's (her father). Now, with the pain she is experiencing off and on, I am becoming concerned the this is not just an inherited belly from her grandmother (who has a protruding belly). Her pain is directly underneath the "jelly-belly" portion, under her belly-button and in the exact area.

My daughter is 9, turning 10 years old. I started my period at age 13/14 so am not thinking this is her female anatomy, but of course, I cannot be certain.

Anything you can tell me that might help? Could it be a hernia? Something else? Thank you for your time!
Asked On : Fri, 12 Apr 2013