Child has protruded purple skin on vagina, itching. Is this normal?

Hello Dr. Lundi, My little ten year old sister has protruding purple skin coming out from the outer lips of her vagina , and I am not sure what this is. She is developing breasts and gets pimples on her face, so I am hoping the protuding skin is part of her development? Is this normal and common? I read on many websites that this purple skin is actually the inner labia and it s normal...but we haven t taken her to the doctor since we just found out..and I really really want to be reassured that protrusion of this skin is nothing to worry about.. Also, I have asked her whether it hurts her but she says no, it just itches sometimes. My mother is terribly worried since she knows that all her daughters vaginas consist of the outer lips being exposed, rather than the inner ones. Please please please reassure me that this is completely normal and that this will not harm or effect her in any way. At the moment, my little sister is awkward and embarrassed about it..and it rips my heart to have her feel like that, I love her dearly and will do anything to comfort her ..please tell me how to make her feel like it s nothing and that she should be happy with the way she is? And how should I convince my mother that this is alright? I really am looking forward to your response.. I really need it.. : ( I can t bare to see my little sister so uncomfortable about this! : ( Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.. - oldest sis
Asked On : Sat, 11 Aug 2012