Child has penile pain. Has raised white spots on penis. Remedy?

I have a 3yr old son who has been complaining of penile pain for several weeks. He won't let us touch or look at it. Tonight while bathing him, I finally was able to get a good look: he has several raised, white spots (plaques?) at the base of his penis. I washed him very well and some of the plaques broke loose leaving a white spot. He is extremely tender. He complains of pain when I touch his penis (to lift to get to the crevice to clean) and complains of pain to the groin and sac. I'm curious to know what this is, what to do, and what is causing it & the intense pain. Initially, I think we supposed he was sore from "diaper" rash as we were potty training and he was learning when to go potty (rather than wait to the last minute and dribble a bit in his underwear). Are we on the right track or is this something else entirely?
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013