Child has painful raised bump on the chest below the horizontal nipple level. Help?

one month ago I noticed a raised bump in the middle of my daughter s chest slightly below the horizontal nipple level. she almost 13 I Possibly above the sternum. It feels like a bone and she can use regular bra cause is painful and she is so worried about these situations because she play soccer on her Junior High. Please! tell me how can help her or what questions should have to ask to her doctor.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013
Hi there.
This seems to be a case of Exostosis.....also known as bony outgrowth. Chest is not an uncommon site.
This is a dangerous area to have it as it is just above the heart.
Most of these are benign and not to worry about until they start causing symptoms like rapid growth or pain or infection.
Since your daughters lesion is symptomatic I would suggest you get it removed surgically.
But be sure to consult a good orthopaedic surgeon who is well versed with operating at this area .
Also check for any such similar outgrowths in other parts of the body.
Good luck.