Child has painful knot above temple, no injury, had similar knots in the past. Cause?

My 7 year old son has a nickel sized knot about an inch or so above his temple. It appeared suddenly today, he has not injured his head. It was bothering him and causing him some pain. He also had similar knots about a year ago and I was called to pick him up from school because the school nurse was concerned. We went to the doctor right away and he didn t seem concerned. I would just like to figure out the cause. If it doesn t go away within a certain amount of days should we see his doctor?
Asked On : Wed, 24 Oct 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear parent,

Thanks for the concern. Given the location and prior history of "knots", it is probably an enlarged lymph node, which can be caused by any surrounding scratch or infection, even in the scal if unnoticed. It shoudl gradually resolved as the other ones did; if not, then it would be prudent to have it cchecked out.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN