Child has oval shaped itchy discolored area with red rim on the elbow crease, has scabbed on scratching. What could this be?

My daughter is 6 and has a white oval shaped itchy area on the skin inside the crease of her elbow . The patch is discolored (i.e. whiter than the rest of her skin) and has a red rim around the edge. It is approximately 1.5 inches wide and 1 inch tall. She has scratched it to the point where there is scabbing on the edge from the scratching . What could this be? Is this something that she should see a doctor for?
Asked On : Tue, 16 Oct 2012