Child has microphthalmia. Want second opinion. Any surgery possible

Hi, my 4yr old son has been diagnosed with the following on his left eye -Microphthalmia , hypermetropia and hypoplasia of the macula, we tried patching and he had a +11 lense which allowed him to do most things (he complained of a black hole when the glasses and patch were removed). His sight with the glasses was fine close up but he had difficulty seeing far in the distance. Our opthalmologist says we should just get on with life as his right eye is perfect and he functions normally. However we have decided to go to have a second opinion just to be absolutely sure. I realise we are dealing with optic nerves and under developed fovea, but if cost wasnt an issue is there any surgery possible? Thanks
Asked On : Fri, 14 Sep 2012