Child has lump on the palm, no pain. Ultrasound detected tumor. Any thoughts?

I took my 5 1/2 year old son to his pediatrican after I noticed a lump on the bottom part his hand (palm) near his wrist . (left Hand) The Doctor seemed to think that it was a Gandlion Cyst and referred us to a Hand Surgeon. I took him that appointment and they took x-rays and did a ultrasound to ensure that it was not a tumor . Once they did the ultrasound it was indeed a cyst. The surgeon recommened that we either have it removed or just continue to watch it for a period. My son is very active and he says that it does not bother him. (He has full use of both hands not problem) The surgeon also indicated that it may be hereditary. Your thoughts please?
Asked On : Thu, 13 Dec 2012