Child has lump on neck. Asked to remove within a month. What could this be?

My 5 year old daughter has developed a lump in her neck either being a lymph node or growth by/on it has changed in size & shape over four months, referral to ENT surgeon has led to urgent ultrasound and definite removal within month, as my daughter's were there I refrained from certain questions, and the specialist was careful in what she said avoiding removal discussion whyn children present, I want to know reasons removal is urgent and possibilities of what this growth could be????
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013