Child has lump on forehead after injury. Bruising. Is it normal?

My 5 year old son hit his head on the edge of the swimming pool 3 days ago his forehead had a gold ball size lump that had subsided on our way to the childrens emergency department,the dr said that because he had fallen asleep on the bus after the accident (he was not in our care he was with a holiday centre) it was a bit of a concern AND the fact that he had a small dent in his head along with the bruising :-( im really worried because the dr left the room saying I have to go get the head dr to look at him he may need scans he then came back & told us he doesn t need to see him I ve spoken to him & you can take him home just keep an eye on him ,since then 3 days ago his appetite sleep & play hasn t changed im more concerned about the Dent ? Is it normal & when will the swelling go down ?
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013

Thank you for your query.

As three days have passed since the incident and your child is playing normally there is no need of any worry on your part. The swelling shall take some time, around a week. to subside. Do not worry about the dent - we would have worried if your child was drowsy, showing abnormal behaviour or was vomiting a lot.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son all the best.

Pediatrician Dr. Synthyia Bhagat's  Response
Thanks for your query,
Head injuries are to be closely monitored for atleast 24 hours for any abnormal behavior,any vomiting,bleeding from ear or nose.
In your case already 3 days have passed and your child is asymptomatic so relax do not worry,regarding swelling it takes few days to settle.

Wishing your child good health
God bless,
Pediatrician, Surgery Dr. Anand Sinha's  Response
Thank you for your query
If it has been three days and your child is playful and eats well, in all probability he would not need any further tests. He should recover all right. The lump / bruise may be a hematoma (collected blood) and it takes some time to go. You don't worry about it. Apply some ice on it although after three days that too is not required. If it hurts your child may require an occasional dose of analgesic. Children sometimes develop very minor fractures of skull bone but those don't require any treatment per se if no other symptoms are present.
Hope that helps.
God bless you