Child has lump near belly button, advised ultrasound. What is it?

Good Morning, I have a son that is 4 1/2 years old. He has been very healthy and still seems to be. Two nights ago after a bath and while putting lotion on him my wife ran across a small ( 1/2 ) lump about an inch down and an inch left of his belly button. The lump is not visible but is also not deep. He said there was no pain and he felt fine. Today we went to see his doctor and after reading on the internet thought maybe a Hernia or something. The Dr checked all his vitals and said he seemed fine. She then started feeling around his belly where we said the lump was. She said she did not know what it was and that it did not feel like a Hernia. She has referred us for an Ultrasound but it is not for about 3 weeks. My wife is terrified and so am I. I was just wondering if in your experience you may have an idea of what it may be or better yet what it probably is not? Any help to ease our minds would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much! Travis & Audrey
Asked On : Thu, 2 Aug 2012