Child has large neck, ultrasound of thyroid showed enlarged thyroid with few nodules, diagnosed to parathyroid. Alarming?

My 11 year old daughter had to have an ultrasound of her thyroid because her dr noticed her neck look rather large. We did the ultrasound and found that her thyroid is enlarged and also had a few nodules. When talking to the dr she mentioned something in the report about her parathyroid . I have never heard of that. She referred us to a pediatric endocrinologist which we see on Thursday. Thyroid disease runs in my family. (my mother and sister) Is this something I should be worrying about?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013