Child has high platelet count, low iron, runny nose, irritable. Related to teething?

My 13 month old son has a high platelet count for the second time. His iron was checked a few months ago and determined to be low (10.0) but platelets were fine. Upon a second check last month, his iron was 10.5 and platelets were high. Upon another check a few days ago, his iron wa 10.7 (getting better), but his platelets were still high. The doctor asked me if he had been ok since hgh platelets are typically attributed to something viral. I stated that he has had a runny nose and been irritable off and on for about a week, but I thought he was teething . Can a high platelet count be caused from teething alone, or is something else going on?
Asked On : Thu, 2 Aug 2012