Child has frequent urination. Digestion appears fine. Reason?

My adopted son is 16 months old and during just this past week and a half I have noticed that he seems to be going through a lot of diapers. I started watching more closely yesterday and today and I am concerned with his frequent urination . we went through 17 diapers yesterday there are some dirty diapers as well so digestive oh he appears fine. Please let me know if I should be concerned
Asked On : Thu, 14 Mar 2013
Dec 2012
Hello Kimba,

Thanks for posting,

From your description your son has most probably contracted a urinary tract infection but that will need to be confirmed with urine analysis (+/- culture). This will need that you consult with a pediatrician so that he could be examined and a urine test requested. Other blood tests will need to be done to rule out other possible causes like juvenile diabetes, overactive bladder, urinary incontinence (which which require a cause especially nerve lesion to be determined).
If UTI is confirmed then appropriate antibiotics will need to be provided to eradicate the causative agent.

Hope this helps

Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.
It seems your child passing frequent urine in excessive quantities.
First I would like to rule out excessive dilution of his feeds and milk with water.
So check for the appropriate reconstitution of his feeds.
Second is cool weather will lead to excessive urination.
But frequent urination and excessive urination has to be evaluated further to rule out the urinary infections, diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus.
I advise you to collect a 24 hour urine to know the exact quantity of urine by weighing the pre and post void diapers in a 24 hour period.
Urine has to be checked for any infection and presence of sugar.
Consult your Pediatrician for further evaluation.
Hope I have answered your query.