Child has frequent ear infections. Suggested adenoid removal and grommets placement. What do you think?

Hi I am concerned about some advice I have been given by my sons ENT consultant. He has had repeated ear infections for over a year (9 or 10 with anti biotics). He is suffering from them. The consultant advised him to have his adenoids removed and grommets put in. I have received conflicting advice from everyone around me varying from don t do it your child will never sound the same again to do it, it would solve a lot of problems. What do you think?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013