Child has finger pain, scar tissue. What can be done?

Hi, My son lost the end of his middle finger when he was 2 years old (The last digit). They were able to reattach the nail but not the end of the finger. He s been pain free for a long time but now that he is 13, the end of his finger is starting to hurt more. There is scar tissue . We went to the orthopedic doctor today and he said there is nothing he can do right now, because whatever they do, they ll have to do again when my son is older because he is still growing. He wanted to allow the bone the opportunity to catch up. The doctor said to massage the end of the finger to desensitize and try to trim the nail as much as possible. The nail has become hooked and cutting the nail is difficult because of the skin under the nail. He also has little padding at the end of the finger. My question is this, what can they do when my son is full grown to fix the end of his finger if the bone doesn t catch up to provide support to the nail?
Asked On : Sat, 18 Aug 2012
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
This is a common problem with defects like this.This is actually due the pain in the nerve endings which were meant to supply at the nail beds.This will be a recurring from from now on.Oral painkillers and local counterirritants can help.The best person to help you out would be a plastic surgeon who specializes with fingers and hands.
As for the nail..if its getting embedded in the soft tissue it has to be dealt with.
Hope this answers your query.Wishing your child a speedy recovery.Have a nice day.