Child has fever, sore throat, chills. Given Motrin. Prescribed Amoxicillin for ear infection. Cause of fatigue and appetite loss?

My son came home from school last Thursday with a fever, sore throat, and chills. I gave him children's Motrin and took him to the doctor on Friday morning. The doctor said that he might have something viral and his ear inside was red, so she prescribed amoxicilan to treat what could potentially turn into an ear infection. He hasn't had a fever since last Saturday but is fatigued and not eating much at all. No vomiting, no diarrhea. What could it be?
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013